Access to safe drinking water is a problem the world over. People living in remote communities have to rely on contaminated water sources for survival. Municipal water treatment plants make use of chlorine and fluorine for water treatment, which are harmful to the body; tap water cannot be relied upon also.
Water purifiers are a great way of improving water from different sources, making it safe for drinking and household use.
Below are some reasons why you should invest in a good water purifier for your home:
Access to pure water
Millions of people live in areas where availability of safe drinking water is not guaranteed. Water is a very essential part of human existence and must be taken in adequate amounts for optimal performance of the body system. With a good water purifier, safe drinking water is attainable.
Reduces the risk of sickness and disease
Contaminated water exposes children and adults to waterborne diseases like cholera and typhoid. According to the United Nations, a child dies every 20 seconds as a result of poor sanitation. Contaminated water is the leading cause of epidemic disease around the world. There are more than 2100 known water contaminants that may be present in tap water. Municipal water treatment facilities cannot always be relied upon for bacteria and contaminant-free drinking water; a point-of-use purifying system is the best option. Toxic materials in water have been identified as a major culprit in most cancer cases. Water filters greatly reduce the risk of rectal, colon and bladder cancer to a considerable extent by removing chlorine and its by-products from household water.
Enhances Mental and Physical Well-being
- Pure drinking water aids the mental and physical development in children.
- The developing immune system in children requires safe, healthy drinking water.
- According to the Environmental Protection Agency, 480,000 cases of learning disorders in children each year in the United States is attributed to lead contained in their drinking water. Water purifiers remove lead and other heavy metals from drinking water.
- Lead in drinking water is also responsible for various birth defects, so pure drinking water is of utmost importance to pregnant women. Point-of-use purifying systems remove this substance from water prior to consumption.
- Water filters remove cryptosporidium and giardia from drinking water, thereby reducing the risk of gastrointestinal diseases.
Contaminations in drinking water have been attributed to so many health problems facing the world today so they cannot be ignored. Municipal water treatment plants have greatly reduced these contaminations but they still exist to some extent in our drinking water. Some of the chemicals used for purifying are chlorine and fluorine which are actually contaminants harmful to the body. Lead enters drinking water after treatment by this municipal plant which is devastating to the human body.
There are so many home treatment alternatives that can greatly improve the quality of our drinking water. Reverse osmosis, Ultraviolet and Ultrafiltration are some of these alternatives. They filter out contaminants and heavy metals from water, making it safe and healthy for drinking.